Friday, January 26, 2007

Replacing the Fuel Injection Air (FIA) Control Valve

mileage = 76359mi

If you ever need to remove the hose going from the air intake to the Fuel Injection Air (FIA) Control Valve, just cut the hose out with a razor blade and replace it, instead of trying to yank it. I broke my FIA control valve and it has been my biggest source of problems.

Finding the part number was a pain, but it's Honda Part Number 36281-P2P-A01. The drawing seems to be under system=engine and then going to "water pump thermostat". In the drawing, the part is labeled #24 and simply says "valve, air, assist solenoid". The FIA Control Valve screws into part #23 in the drawing and is labeled "case, thermostat" (Honda Part No. 19320-P2P-A00).

I called about seven dealers and none of them had the FIACV in stock and they charge $100-$115 for it. Ordering the part online is the way to go. I used HondaPartsDeals.com and paid $80 for it.
My biggest problem with the FIACV was screwing it into the thermostat case. Even with a brand new part, I couldn't screw the part all the way in (only 75%). I don't think, I was cross-threading the part since I could hand-tighten the FIACV halfway into the case. Using an adjustable wrench I was able to tighten the part a few more turns but then it got too difficult. The funny thing is that I don't remember having that much difficulty unscrewing the part.
I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping coolant isn't leaking out of the thermostat case.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey i had to replace the samething on my car. What hooks up to the FIA Valve/

Unknown said...

I just replaced mine 5 mins ago and same problem, i only got it 75% on.. i need help!! What do i do

Unknown said...

I just replaced mine 5 mins ago and same problem, i only got it 75% on.. i need help!! What do i do