Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Power Steering Fluid and Antifreeze Really Low

Since I already had the hood opened while cleaning the engine bay this morning, I decided to check the fluids despite getting a 14 point inspection included with my oil service on Saturday. On the service checklist, the power steering fluid and radiator coolant were listed as being OK, but the levels were really low. Don't trust oil service inspections to catch problems. I had some really old Prestone antifreeze that I mixed 50/50 with water many years ago, but I decided to use it anyways. Hopefully this doesn't cause my Civic any problems. After topping off the coolant, I consulted HondaCivicForum.com. From the posts, I read it sounded like Acura and Honda have specially formulated power steering fluids to work with their systems, so I decided to call the dealer. Both Honda dealers close by had their parts and service departments closed, so I called the closest Acura dealer and they were open. Including tax, a 12 fluid ounce (fl oz) bottle of Acura Power Steering Fluid came out to be $4.24. After filling the power steering fluid and the coolant to their max levels, I didn't notice any difference in driving but at least I feel better about taking care of the car.


Here is a photo of the Honda Power Steering Fluid (12 fl oz) P/N 08206-9002A, AdvanceAutoParts Heavy Duty Engine Degreaser (19.2 oz = 1lbs 3.2 oz) P/N AAP1 and SeaFoam Motor Treatment (1 pint = 16 fl oz) (~$5.50) with a cut-out bottom of a water bottle on top of the cap.

No comments: