Tuesday, January 23, 2007

How To Remove the Bumper Cover and Remove Intake Resonator Box

Removing the bumper cover wasn't as difficult as I thought but I did break a plastic clip in the fender well. To my surprise, the part cost $2.61 at the dealership. The fender clip is Honda Part Number 91501-S04-003 and is removed with a flathead screwdriver. Here is a photo of the broken and new part.

Tools Used:
10mm wrench
8mm wrench (I think. I used a 3/8" or 11/32" socket tool because I didn't have a wrench extension to fit in the fender wheel well)
Wrench Extension
Flathead Screwdriver
Phillips Head Screwdriver

  1. Open the hood and remove the 7 clips on top of the bumper cover using a flathead screwdriver. Each clip has two parts that both need to be removed.
  2. Remove the two phillips head screws and the two 10mm bolts from under the bumper cover.
  3. In each wheel well there is a fender clip (p/n 91501-S04-003) and an 8mm hex bolt holding the bumper cover. Remove both clips and bolts (one from each wheel well).
  4. Gently pull out and down on the sides of the bumper cover to get it loose from the car.
  5. Gently pull the bumper cover off the front of the car and place it somewhere where it won't get scratched. You can remove the bumper cover with one person, but two people is better.
  6. To remove the intake resonator box, three 10mm hex bolts need to be removed. One of them is only accessible from underneath and a socket wrench won't fit unless the splash guard is removed. I used a basic wrench and slowly took the bolt off by loosening it little by little. Two hands were necessary. One hand to hold the wrench on the bolt and one to turn the wrench. It was a real pain, but I didn't want to bother removing the splash guard. Unfortunately, I don't have good photos of the three hex bolts to remove, but I have a photo of the resonator taken out with the three bolts.
  7. Time to pull the resonator box out. Pulling the intake resonator box wasn't easy and I had to force it diagonally through a little opening. I risked bending the splash guard, but luckily nothing broke.
  8. To put the bumper cover back on, reverse the steps to remove it. Once everything is lined up, installing the bumper cover is pretty easy.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm replacing my 99 civic bumper cover soon. Thanks for posting this, it's going to be helpful to me.

Unknown said...

Thanks for taking the time to post this. I'm a student and the mechanics qouted me too much to do this!

Tks

Unknown said...

... had to replace a broken horn, the instructions on how to remove the front bumper cover saved the day!

Uncle Ka-Seng said...

Cheers dude, good write up and useful pics, exactly what I was searching for

Neret said...

They just replace my back bumper, was broken in an hit and run. Nicaraguan Honda dealer fix it and painted. Looks great. Had to wait 3 months to get it..Pictures http://hondacivicex99.blogspot.com

Rick Lima said...

replaced my front grille using these pics and txt. they really helped. thx alot

Neret said...

Parking tricks with your Honda no other car can do. http://hondacivicparkingtricks.blogspot.com

Alexander said...

Very very descriptive. Thanks for the writeup I'm gonna use this site and do my own when I redo my Honda Delsol this winter :D