Thursday, May 17, 2007

Tires Rotated and Air Filter Washed

mileage = 82296mi

The heat shield for the catalytic converter was hanging down and scraping the road. After jacking up the car, I saw that the heat cover was all bent up and being held on by one bolt. The three other bolts were still there, but the metal had ripped on the corners. Instead of removing the bolt, I just twisted the heat shield until it broke off.

Since I had the car jacked up, I rotated the tires and discovered why the new tires are yielding lower gas mileage. The stock steel wheels and tire weighed about 34 lbs and the new wheels and tires weigh about 43 lbs. I guess a 9 lbs difference per tire/wheel can lower the fuel mileage by 3-4 mpg. So my fuel mileage dropped dramatically after changing the plugs and tires/wheels because both changes introduced a new issue. One of the plug wires broke so that was the main drop in fuel efficiency, but each tire is about 9 lbs heavier. On good weeks, the car can get about 30 mpg and on a long road trip I saw 33 mpg.

While I was doing car maintenance, I washed the air filter with dishwasher soap and a bucket of water.

4 comments:

Chin Kian said...

Hie there. I got ur blog link from autoanything.com. You did a great job with your air intake. I just ordered mine and I'm getting all my parts ready when it comes. I have a honda civic 99 EX too but I have some questions. Do you mind helping out?

The previous owner of my car did a very bad job in putting in a cold air intake, and my gas mileage is like 20 mpg. sucks yea?

He removed the PCV breather hose and now I need to find a replace for that tube used in stock arrangement. I'm wondering if u could tell me where to get those. Here's the link to your picture. I marked the tube in cyan color.

Thanks alot!

Unknown said...

sorry for the late reply. i used a thick vacuum hose from NAPA and a connector adapter. the adapter takes the bigger hose size and allows it to fit in the smaller hole.

Mr. Civic said...

Just found you blog on the interwebs, thought i'd drop you some love. I see that it hasn't been updated latley, but maybe you still check it. I just started one yesterday:

http://96civic.blogspot.com/

have a good one.

Auto Parts said...

If you are looking online for the auto parts so need to come here for the best quality Nissan car parts.We have brought our five star parts experience to the comfort of your home, just use the Nissan category link to look up your Nissan parts.