Tuesday, February 13, 2007

AEM Short Ram Intake - Finishing Touches

mileage = 77615mi

I finally got around to replacing some hoses that connect to the AEM Short Ram Intake (SRI) and removed the annoying metal pipes that join the PCV breather hose and the water bypass hose(?) together. This time around, I didn't bother trying to pull the hoses off and I just cut them open with a razor blade. Little did I know, that the breather hose that connects to the valve cover uses a hose with a 12mm opening instead of an 8mm diameter. Unfortunately, the only hose I could find was a 7/16" x 2 ft. (11.1mm x 0.6m) fuel line hose made by Lifeline (part no. 301022). The fuel line hose is super thick and the hose clamps I bought barely fit around it. I paid $4.50 for the hose and $2.50 for four hose clamps. The other problem was that I couldn't find a vacutite connector to plug into the hose and then into the air intake. A 3/8" connector fits into the intake, but it's too small for the hose that I bought so I had to really tighten the hose clamp as much as possible with a screwdriver. In the end, the new hose is probably making a better seal compared to just sticking the metal pipe into the AEM SRI.

Since the metal bar was still going to be in the way, I removed the other two hoses attached to the pipes and finally the pipe itself. The coolant that came out of the water bypass hose wasn't too bad, but it's definitely a steady stream, so catching it with a bottle is a great idea. The hose is significantly shorter in length, so I hope that doesn't create a problem. All in all, I think it was probably good to replace the hoses and it would have been easier if the AEM SRI came with replacement hoses.

No comments: